DON'T BE SILLY AND ASSUME THAT ALL THE PICTURES HERE ARE MINE. THEY ARE NOT UNLESS I SAY SO. IF IT IS YOURS AND YOU WANT IT OFF, EMAIL ME AT RUN.ON.SENTENCES.OF.LIFE@HOTMAIL.COM
Or, you can just let me keep them here because you love me. :)
WARNING: I rant here. If some of it is offensive to you, PLEASE simply unfollow me. Thank you.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Book Review: Room by Emma Donoghue.


So this is a review of the novel Room by Emma Donoghue, as you can probably guess from the title.
I absolutely LOVED this book. LOVED LOVED LOVED. Readers, you all have to read this, no joke. This book is just too good to pass up.
I finished it last night at about one A.M. XD
It's just... oh my goodness.
Okay so it's about this woman who we only know as Ma and her son named Jack. Ma and Jack are in Room, which is a room that they've been in for seven years. Well, seven for Ma, and five for Jack because he's five years old. Ma was kidnapped when she was 19 by this creepy dude who we know as Old Nick. Basically, he kidnapped her for sexual purposes and had her locked up in Room where she got pregnant and gave birth to Jack.
Seeing as Jack was born in Room and never left it, he doesn't know about the outside world. He doesn't understand that there are billions of other people Outside. That there are kids just like him. That there really is ice cream and cars and houses.
It's fascinating, really, to see how the plot unfolds. This novel is in the point of view of Jack so the vocabulary is of course not excellent, but pretty good for a five year old. It's incredible. It's really realistic, like I really felt like a five year old boy was talking to me.
I've got to hand it to Miss Emma Donighue. I know it wasn't easy to write Room in the POV of a little boy. But she pulled it off flawlessly. THAT is true talent.
Basically, I liked everything, I disliked nothing, and you have to read it. Yeah, the beginning is a bit boring, but trust me, it speeds up. This book is on the bestselling list for a reason!
Cutest quote in the book:
"[Jack said,] 'They say you're beautiful.'
Ma laughs.
Actually she is. I've seen so many person faces for real now and hers is the most beautifulest."
<3

3 run-on sentences.:

Morrigan said...

I actually read that book a couple of months ago after finishing one of Donoghue's other novels :) It actually reminded me of the Fritzl case, but just not as extreme.

It'sJodie-Ann,Bro. said...

I've got to read another book by her! And I've never heard of the Fritzl case. I'll look it up. I probably know of it but don't recognize the name.

Brasil said...

I loved it!!! Excellent character development and emotionally engaging pace. Be prepared to laugh and cry. Innocent, honest Jack will have you looking at your own world from a whole new perspective.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...