DON'T BE SILLY AND ASSUME THAT ALL THE PICTURES HERE ARE MINE. THEY ARE NOT UNLESS I SAY SO. IF IT IS YOURS AND YOU WANT IT OFF, EMAIL ME AT RUN.ON.SENTENCES.OF.LIFE@HOTMAIL.COM
Or, you can just let me keep them here because you love me. :)
WARNING: I rant here. If some of it is offensive to you, PLEASE simply unfollow me. Thank you.

Thursday, November 3, 2011

Stereotypes by PurpleMist.

PurpleMist, the author! :)
I like to observe people. I don't know why, but somehow the way certain people react to certain situations is intriguing to me.

That said, often times I look around and I realise what a prejudiced world we live in. People here can be so judgemental and biased. Now, you might be thinking 'I'm not like that', but more likely than not, you are, and so am I, whether we realise it or not. In my opinion, society nowadays runs on stereotypes.

I'll be the first to admit that I can be judgemental at times. If I see a big guy wearing dark clothes with tattoos and piercings everywhere, my first thought would be that he looks scary and unapproachable. My brain would have already defined him as a 'freak'. Similarly, if a guy's wearing bright pink pants, carrying a shoulder bag, I will find myself immediately make judgements on his personality. But that's the thing, we've grown up thinking that people have to be a certain way.

Whether it was from our parents or group of friends, as we grow up, our brain categorises how society runs, what is acceptable and what isn't. Most of the time we are not taught to be open-minded about the world and people around us, but to have a concrete opinion on everything. Which leads us to becoming biased individuals who only have a very narrow perspective of life. Sure, a lot of people have broken through that barrier and we are slowly learning to be more accepting, but the problem of stereotyping still remains. One of the reasons for this is because people are afraid to think differently, to think out of the norm. A lot of times, I find myself not doing or saying things because I'm afraid of how people would judge me after seeing that type of behaviour. At the end of the day, we all want to feel accepted. 

Not many people realise how their judgemental actions can have effect on how a person behaves. For example, I came across a poet online who wrote amazing dark poetry. She literally managed to paint a picture in my head with each stanza. But she felt the need to add a little note at the end of some of her poems telling the readers that she is not emo or depressed, she simply feels comfortable with writing this genre of poetry. And yet, people still commented about how the writing is great, but it's a 'little depressing' and she should 'try to write more positive stuff'. If you don't like it, then don't read it, simple as that. Many writers can relate to this. I personally think it's much easier to write depressing/sad poetry than it is to write something more optimistic/happy. It's not because I'm sad, but because that's what I write well.

I could go on with this topic forever, but my main point is that we should all try to break through these stereotypes. Think a little before judging someone at first glance.

"Instead of being presented with stereotypes by age, sex, color, class, or religion, children must have the opportunity to learn that within each range, some people are loathsome and some are delightful."
- Margaret Mead

**Wasn't that a great guest post?! :D It's so awesome! I really love it. So, thank you, PurpleMist! Check her blog out here. :) You won't regret it!
-Jodie-Ann**

8 run-on sentences.:

Of One Heart said...

PurpleMist, that's a beautiful picture of you there! I'm glad you're even thinking about stuff like this. It'll take several thinking heads, but really, I think we're growing into a better society- just because of non-judgmental people like yourself. I'll pitch in a "thank you" from the world to you. :) Keep at it!

PurpleMist. said...

Thank you so much for posting this up Jodie-Anne :D

Of One Heat: Thanks a lot! I appreciate your comment :)
And nice new name! at first I didn't notice it was you :P

S. Mahnoor Shah said...

That was a good post!

It'sJodie-Ann,Bro. said...

No problem, PurpleMist! :D

ishashime said...

what a lovely guest post. i agree with it a hundred percent. it may be hard to change, since i tend to be a bit judgmental myself, but it's something i've been aspiring to do. stereotypes are definitely something society as a whole must break free from, though.

HappyVic said...

wow. that's so right. :)

Mark said...

That is really good. Very true as well. Stereotypes take a long time to break, but the first step is allowing children to learn for themselves what people are really like, and to learn this yourself.

PurpleMist. said...

Thank you for all the responses, I loved hearing your views on this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...