DON'T BE SILLY AND ASSUME THAT ALL THE PICTURES HERE ARE MINE. THEY ARE NOT UNLESS I SAY SO. IF IT IS YOURS AND YOU WANT IT OFF, EMAIL ME AT RUN.ON.SENTENCES.OF.LIFE@HOTMAIL.COM
Or, you can just let me keep them here because you love me. :)
WARNING: I rant here. If some of it is offensive to you, PLEASE simply unfollow me. Thank you.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Bright Young Things (2011)

That's the name of the novel I just finished reading at like ten thirty last night. I could not STOP.
Anyways, it's written by Anna Godbersen.
See the God in her name? She is the GODess of historical young adult fiction.
I'm not kidding.
The book :)
The book is about three girls, set in 1929.
Cordelia is looking for her long-lost father. She lives in some small town in Ohio and doesn't want to be there anymore. So, after doing lots of research about her father (who she finds out is a famous and rich criminal) she decides to go find him in the big, bright city: New York City. Once she meets him, everything seems perfect. Emphasis on the word seems.
Letty, Cordelia's best friend, believes that her name is destined to be up in the lights. She knows she's supposed to be a famous jazz singer on stages making tons of money. But what will she do to get there?
Astrid is a super rich and super beautiful flapper girl. Her boyfriend is dashing and also rich. Her life seems perfect, right? Well, it's far from it.
Throughout the novel, the lives of these three girls will intertwine and lead to a most shocking ending.
What a crappy synopsis I just did.
Anyways, it really is amazing and I'd suggest you read it.

What I liked:
-Set in 1929. I LOVE this about the book. I find it so fascinating to see what it was like in 1929. Like, what they wore, how they styled their hair, how they spoke. And this author clearly researched everything. She gave so much detail about the types of outfits the characters were wearing and their makeup and stuff. It was so cool!
-Beautiful writing. This author is very talented.
-Suspenseful. Kept my attention. At the end, I was lying in bed whispering "Oh my Gosh. Oh my Gosh." over and over again to myself. TO MYSELF.

What I didn't like:
-I'M GOING TO DIE IF I DON'T READ THE SECOND BOOK SOON! It's called Beautiful Days and apparently it's out already. O.O

***** out of five. GO READ IT NOW!
post signature
PS: Hope you enjoyed this review of Bright Young Things by Anna Godbersen! Mayen said that she missed my book reviews, so this one's for you, Mayen! :D

8 run-on sentences.:

meandmythinkingcap said...

Wow.sounds like a good book.

It'sJodie-Ann,Bro. said...

It is! :D

Cindy said...

This looks reaaaally good! I love historical(ish) settings. I MUST READ THIS!!! lol just googled it and there's a movie with the same name but based on a different book...suspicious

It'sJodie-Ann,Bro. said...

It is :D Hehe so do I! You should definitely read this! And I found the movie too. I was amused. XD

Hazel said...

Never read it but I read her other series: Luxe, Rumours, Envy and Splendour. All excellent!! You should check them out :)

It'sJodie-Ann,Bro. said...

@Hazel: Yeah, I read that series. :D It's amazing! That's why I wanted to read this one.

Of One Heart said...

That last line made me smile! Great review. :)

ishashime said...

oooh. i like it. especially the fact that it was set in 1929. :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...