DON'T BE SILLY AND ASSUME THAT ALL THE PICTURES HERE ARE MINE. THEY ARE NOT UNLESS I SAY SO. IF IT IS YOURS AND YOU WANT IT OFF, EMAIL ME AT RUN.ON.SENTENCES.OF.LIFE@HOTMAIL.COM
Or, you can just let me keep them here because you love me. :)
WARNING: I rant here. If some of it is offensive to you, PLEASE simply unfollow me. Thank you.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Lolita: the review.

I have finally finished reading Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov. I say finally because let me tell you something-it was LONG. And when I say long, I mean LONG.
Okay, let me just start the review.
What I liked:
-Palpable lust. The main character's forbidden lust for Lolita was felt by me. I dunno, I just thought it awesome that I could really understand his lust. Because he explained why he lusted for her. He pointed out her childishness and parts of her body that entice him, etc. I found it interesting. Obviously, I don't like little kids. So, it fascinated me the way he thought of them.
-Amazing vocabulary. The language in this book is amazing. I learned tons of new words. XD Okay, I admit that I forgot their meanings, but I remembered them for a while. :)
-Great flow. Mr. Nabokov is an awesome author. His writing is... like... OMG. Great. Fantastic. FLABBERGASTING. I loved it. This dude's got skills.
-Awesome characterization. I could clearly see the main character's slow descent into insanity. :)

What I did not like:
-The story dragged. It was way too long. WAY. TOO. LONG.
-Some parts of the story didn't need to be there. The main character rambled too much and I was bored. At many, MANY parts during the story, I stopped and just stared at the fine print on the page thinking, "Do I care?"

Overall rating: ***
Yeah, I didn't like it very much. The story was good. The writing was even better. But, the author was revealing information that was not important wayyyy too often. To be honest, I wanted to stop reading about half-way through. But, I forced myself to continue just because I watched the movie and knew good stuff were to come. The story rambled on too much about past memories(I remember when...) that I didn't care about and that did not enhance the story in any way. The memories could have been omitted and many of his thoughts.
post signature
PS: Now that I have finished the abnormally long book, I can FINALLY start on my so-hot-it-"scorches the ink off the page"-book. YES! VICTORY AT LAST! :D

13 run-on sentences.:

r.alsharif said...

That was a great review! I love the fact you also wrote what you didn't like. Don't know if i'd read it though cause you said it was looooong :P

Jodie-Ann said...

Yay thank you :D And yeah, I don't believe in just saying what I like. The (future)reader should know about what's bad about the book along with what is good. And yeah, it was way too long. XD

Delilah said...

You finished! =D
Doesn't he spew some shit like 'lolita, the fire of my loins' yada yada somewhere in between?
Thank you for the review. I'm not reading it =D
I now sincerely wait for the scorch the page book review =D
happy reading. and wait, do you now have hols or something?

Jodie-Ann said...

Lol yeah he does XD And you're welcome :) Hehe, thanks :D What's hols?

mayen said...

wow, it is a great review hun. I don't usually get intimidated by thick pages of the book or a long story as long as the page is worth turning. So i guess I'll skip this one because you said there are a lot of unnecessary stuff on the book.

I love your review jodie. do it often. :)

Delilah said...

haha. Jargon issues.
hols = holidays =D

ishashime said...

nice! i actually started reading it today. so far so good. haha. good review. i'm going to see if i think about it in the same way. xD

Adrian Paul said...

Awesome review! Great job! I've been seeing the books and movie but I didn't know which one to read or see. I guess I'll be watching the movie! =]

Furree Katt said...

i love reading your reviews! :D
i think i should watch the movie. i don't like it when unnecessary bits come up in books.

Jodie-Ann said...

@mayen: Thank you! :D And hehe :) Yes loootsss of unnecessary stuff. xD And thank you again! I'l try and do it as often as I can :D
@Delilah: Ooooohhh XD Yeah, summer holidays for me now. :D
@ishashime: Haha yeah it's good at first XD We shall see whether you like it :)
@Adrian Paul: Thank you!! :D Yeah, just watch the movie XD
@Furree Katt: Yay thank you!! :D And I don't like it either xD

TheBlogWriter8 said...

Hols made me laugh! :D I'm selectively reading, here. I'm kind of pleased about the "boring" part. Mean me?? Yeah, sorry. I need to be nicer. :)

iZaynab said...

Don't we all dislike dragging stories ~?

Jodie-Ann said...

@TBW: LOL!! You're not mean :)
@iZaynab: YES!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...