DON'T BE SILLY AND ASSUME THAT ALL THE PICTURES HERE ARE MINE. THEY ARE NOT UNLESS I SAY SO. IF IT IS YOURS AND YOU WANT IT OFF, EMAIL ME AT RUN.ON.SENTENCES.OF.LIFE@HOTMAIL.COM
Or, you can just let me keep them here because you love me. :)
WARNING: I rant here. If some of it is offensive to you, PLEASE simply unfollow me. Thank you.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Force-Feeding of Anorexic People: Is It Right?

Hey, guys. I have a debate here I found online. I think it's a really interesting topic so... let the debate begin! :D
So, should anorexic people be force-fed? Really, I think yes. Because, first of all- and wait a minute here before you go against me, if you were planning to- they will die if they don't eat. And obviously, if they're anorexic, they're not going to want to eat. Or, they'll eat a tiny amount of food. What nutrition are they getting from that? We humans need to eat. That's how we live. If we don't eat, we die of starvation, malnutrition and many others. It's not safe to be starving yourself. So, as a doctor, what can you do? Let your patient die because they don't want to eat? Your job is to save that person's life and not feeding them will not do that, now will it? Normally, a doctor can't force medicine onto a patient, but seeing as the patient is mentally ill and will have a warped view of things... that allows doctors to do it. If they couldn't, then what would really be the meaning of medicine?
However, I have to admit that there are some points going against the force-feeding of anorexic people. Like, you will be doing something against that person's will. It's not really... right. You can't force someone to do something. In the end, it's their choice whether they live or die, isn't it? So, human rights comes into play here. Also, the patient's right should be respected even if they are mentally ill. Plus, this disorder isn't counted as a mental illness in every country. If a patient is force-fed, they might not want to seek more help with they're illness. So, that kind of sets back the whole problem.
Now, that you have read some pros and cons, what do you think? Should anorexic people be force-fed?
-Jodie-Ann

15 run-on sentences.:

Fiona said...

Here's what I think.

Personally, I believe that anorexia is something that is mainly based on society.
People have this DESIRE to be overly skinny because of all this pressure.
And quite frankly, those who can't stand up to that and stop eating, need to be told that they should be lucky that food is THERE and available to them.

That's just my view. (:
Hope I don't sound way too self centered. x]

Jodie-Ann said...

Haha! You don't sound self-centered at all. We're all entitles to our own opinions. And I totally agree with you. We should be happy we have food in the first place, while some people starve everyday.

lalalalowlife said...

Ah~ I'm anorexic but for me iDon't try to do it. There's some people like me who can't gain weight. We try to but we end up getting really bad cramps or it somehow goes away or never shows that we gained it.
But no, iDon't think that anyone should be force fed, if they don't wanna eat, just let them starve. Like you can only lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink it~

Hanis. said...

Heck, I wish my body is as small as the reflection in the mirror. Which is not fat at all.

Aside from that, yes, make them eat. Open their mouth and put the food in. Okay, it might not be as crude.

Violate their rights at that time is better than letting them die, right? Cause that ain't euthanasia(sp?) or mercy killing.

Jodie-Ann said...

@lalalalowlife: Yeah, I'm the same way. I'm not anorexic but I can't gain weight. I eat and eat and eat, but gain nothing. And that's really interesting that you think they shouldn't be force-fed. Most people think they should.Lol.
@Hanis: I agree that they should be force-fed, but... I kind of feel bad. Because we're violating their rights. Even if it is for their own good. And I don't think it's euthanasia or mercy killing because we aren't killing them ourselves. They just don't want to eat. So, it's like they're committing suicide.

Hanis. said...

But are we just going to stand at the sidelines and watch them die? That's just as cruel. But maybe they should see someone who can talk it out, as its alll in their head.

fizzee rascal said...

People shouldn't be forced to do anything. Even live.

Jodie-Ann said...

@Hanis: Yeah, I wouldn't be able to stand and watct them deteriorate. And, maybe they can see someone who can talk with them. :)
@fizzee rascal: True... but it sounds so... cruel.

Anonymous said...

Eating disorders are FAR more complexe then you may think. Honestly, i was offended by what you said, here i'll copy paste it for you. "Normally, a doctor can't force medicine onto a patient, but seeing as the patient is mentally ill and will have a warped view of things... that allows doctors to do it."

A person with an eating disorder is NOT and idiot, and still has rights, and a clear understanding of what is happening to them. I for one stuggled with bullimia since the age of 13. i'm 17 now and getting help, btw. This disorder doesnt just begin because someone believes he or she is overweight, but it can root from traumatic childhood experiences, like rape, abuse.. anything that could have mentally scarred this person.

A doctor CANNOT just force-feed a person who refuses to eat. this could make the ill person worse. Healing from anorexia is a slow process. the awareness you brought to the topic is good, people should be looking out for others with eating disorders. However, i believe you haven't exacly a clear idea of what this disorder really is. i think it's important to learn the facts before you assume.

Jodie-Ann said...

Oh, trust me, I know ALL about bulimia and anorexia. It actually offends me that you think I don't. I don't rant about topics I don't know about. I've been studying on this topic for a few years now and I know that force-feeding them might hold back their... advancements, I guess you'd say? But, anyways, Of course they're not idiots! What kind of statement was that to make?! Why would I think anorexics and bulimics are idiots?! They're not. Of course not. And the only reason I think they should be force fed is because they will DIE if they aren't. So, really, you should learn the facts before you assume I don't know what Im talking about. :)
Thanks for your comment.
-Jodie

Anonymous said...

you're actually telling me to learn the facts about my own eating disorder? Come on.. i wasn't trying to start something with you, i dont even know you. i was just looking on "next blog" and stumbled on yours.

look, people with EDs don't really appreciate being called "the anorexics and bullimcs" it makes us feel like freaks or something. that's probably not your intention but still. Try to be cautious on terms of what you write because it can be extremely hurtful to some people.

i know you dont know all the facts on EDs because when you are hospitalized and refuse to eat, they dont just shove food down your throat.Well in BC they don't anyway. they either set you up on a feeding tube , or send you to rehab. It's more complicated then you may think. Sadly, Google doesnt exacly give all details on this disorder. you have to live it to understand. Being anorexic or bullimic is like going to hell and back, like you wouldnt believe.

And again, sorry if i caused you to be insulted. Wasn't my intention.

- Annabella

Jodie-Ann said...

Hmm... sorry about my previous comment. I was having a bad day and now that I read my comment over, it sounds very... rude. o__O Anyways, I was saying for you to learn the facts about whether I had learned the facts. Stupid, I know, but I was having a bad day. You can just ignore me when I'm annoyed. Lol. And, I know, you probably don't like being called "the anorexics and bulimics", but to be honest, I don't see why. I'm sorta like a hippie when I say this, but I think everyone is beautiful in their own way. :) And if you have an ED, you should embrace it and try to improve. And get yourself out of the hell your talking about. I think that you shouldn't try to hide who you are. But, anyways, who cares what I think? I'm just some random girl over the internet. LOL. And I know that they don't just shove food down your throat. That's just obvious. Sure, you'd eat, but that wouldn't help you in the long run. And actually, you'd be surprised at what Google can give you. If you've been searching up on this topic for so long, trust me, you'd find a shitload of info. And actually, I don't have to live it to understand. There are many methods nowadays to find info. So, that saying isn't true. And I know it's going through hell and back, I really do. I really have studied on this. To the point where my librarian thought I was anorexic/bulimic myself. Hehe. I'm not insulted, don't worry. Just a bad day. Teehee. I'm back to my usual cheery self. Sorry if I insulted you in any way. Really, really sorry.
And, I know this is super random, but maybe you'd like to help me? Like, since you have been suffering from this disorder for years, maybe you can help me with my story? Because my protagonist is anorexic and bulimic and it's really hard to put myself into her shoes. Sure, the researching has helped A LOT. Since I now know the sideaffects and everything. But, at first, all I knew about anorexia and bulimia was that you don't eat because you want to be skinny and you puke up your food. Sad, I know, but that's all I knew. Now, I know much more and I use that to shape my writing. I'm still working on making myself feel anorexic and bulimic though, and thought that maybe you could help me with that? If you're not interested, that's fine. Just thought it would be cool. And I don't know anyone anorexic OR bulimic. So... yeah... Well. Lemme know. :)
-Jodie

Anonymous said...

hey its Annabella btw, i sent you an email responding to your last comment :) take care

Jodie-Ann said...

Thank you! :D You too.

SeaRose said...

Honestly I think anorexia is different from a mental illness because with anorexia you are still more a less sane. People with anorexia can sometimes not understand what they are doing and I think they should not be force fed but sent to a mental doctor who can help understand what is going on and then they can receive the proper health they need to survive.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...